Friday, January 9, 2015

A Christian Perspective: The Charlie Hebdo Massacre


The deadly attack at the office of the satirical tabloid 'Charlie Hebdo' in Paris that left 12 people dead, including 2 police officers was beyond appalling. This reminds me of the cafe siege in Sydney last month and the gruesome massacre of Jewish worshippers in a synagogue in Jerusalem last November in which Muslim men were also the perpetrators. It was said that the Charlie Hebdo attack was due to the magazine's continued publication of blasphemous cartoons depicting their prophet and their religion. 

Just like any freedom-loving individual, I believe in the freedom of speech. But too much unbridled exercise of it may not at all times advantageous. Sometimes others go the extra length but fail to anticipate repercussions that more often than not, do not end up well. It is common knowledge that Charlie Hebdo didn't only target Islam and their prophet, for Christianity also has its fair share of blasphemous cartoon depictions from the tabloid. When I was searching on the web for some photos that I was gonna use for this blog post, it hurt me so much to see all these blasphemous cartoons that Charlie Hebdo did on Jesus -  most of which will make you cry - not because Jesus is being perennially portrayed in such a despicable manner - but because of their hatred for my Lord and Savior. I'm against it, I think it's horrible - and I will most likely not going to patronize their tabloid (if I were a French and Christian that is), but I will never hurt anyone - let alone stain my hands with the blood of the 'enemy' in order to avenge my Jesus who Himself taught me to love my enemy. I will never do it, not just because it's against the law of the land (to murder), but as a Christian, simply to hate a brethren, is equated by Jesus to murder (1 John 3:15).

But I say to you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which spitefully use you. And to him that smites you on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that takes away your cloak forbid not to take your coat also. Give to every man that asks of you; and of him that takes away your goods ask them not again. - Matthew 6:27-31

My God is Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, the Alpha and the Omega, the King of kings and Lord of lords - there's nothing that He cannot do and He can very well defend Himself, and smite those who hate Him if He pleases. As His follower, He doesn't require me to kill His enemies in His behalf, let alone murder innocent people. What He requires of me is to be at peace with everyone, to have clean hands and a pure heart - free from hatred and all kinds of filthiness, because my God sees my heart and He judges by it. My God is also a loving, kind, compassionate and patient God who wants all to come to repentance so that everyone will be saved.  And that's why He gave His only begotten Son Jesus Christ, so that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What happened in Paris was not an issue of freedom of speech that crossed a line, hence the deadly repercussion as many would like to believe. With so many unimaginable evil things that are taking place today, there's only one certainty in this: that the demonic powers are into a rampage seeking to wreak havoc in the lives of as many people as possible - and it's gonna become worse by the day. Hatred for fellow human beings will abound, selfish ambitions will thrive, people will be lovers of money, and will lack compassion for one another - and this is what the world has set to be the norms. But despite all these, there is one good news: in Isaiah 54:17 says that those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ will have protection from the works of the enemy for it is being promised to them that;"No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord."

That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you shall be saved. For with the heart man believes to righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made to salvation. For the scripture said, Whoever believes on him shall not be ashamed. ~ Romans 10: 9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...